Frequently asked questions
1. Where can I get litter picking equipment from?
• If you need any litter picking equipment, please register your interest to become a Litter Hero on Salford City Council’s Litter Hero webpage. Simply sign up using the online form on the website and once registered you will become part of the Litter Heroes network and be given a free clean up kit including a litter picker, bags and gloves. It’s quick and easy to sign up and being a Litter Hero means you’ll have access the councils free litter picking equipment supplies.
• If you need to contact your local neighbourhood manager about litter supplies all the details you need are on the neighbourhood pages on the Salford City Council website. Click on your neighbourhood area below to find the contact details you need. Your neighbourhood manager can also arrange for bin men to collect full bags of collected litter if you let them know where.
Access your area
2. Where do I put bags when full?
• You should leave the white community litter bags provided tied up next to a council street bin for collection by the council’s team. If there is not one nearby, let the council know the closest address or nearest feature e.g. big bill board.
3. How can I report issues of litter and fly tipping?
• You can report issues online on Salford City Council's report it webpage.
To find your local councillor details visit Salford City Council's your councillors webpage.
For neighbourhood management details click on your neighbourhood area on the links provided above and click the ‘contact us’ button on the webpage. You can also find your neighbourhood area on Salford's neighbourhood areas webpage.
4. How can I get involved?
Come along to one of our litter picking events
Sign up to become a Litter Hero on the Salford City Council's Litter Hero webpage and become part of our network and be given a free clean up kit including a litter picker, bags and gloves
Get your own litter picking equipment to clean your local area individually
Arrange your own community clean up
5. Where can I find out about events?
All events will be posted on our Facebook page and we try to keep the website events page updated, but due to working full-time we sometimes don’t have time to do this. Please let us know if you would like to be added to the mailing list, we only email when we add new events to the website.
6. How do I go about organising my own event?
If you want to organise your own community clean up, you can do this by registering your clean up on the Salford City Council Community clean up page. Simply fill in the form and tell the council how much equipment you need and the dates you need this for. The council will arrange drop off and collection of the equipment with you.
You will need bin bags and litter pickers, bag hoops are optional. Let the council know if the pickup point for the bags and equipment is different to the drop off location. Please let us know if you have any issues and we would be happy to help.
We’ve put together a litter picking guide you can download that includes useful tips and guidance. We always advise avoiding dog poo not in bags, broken glass and any needles or sharp objects. All these should be reported to the council to dispose of correctly and safely.
6. How do I adopt a street?
If you haven’t already, please let us know the name and street you would like to be added to our ‘adopt a street’ map on our Salford Litter Heroes Adopt a street page.
Your name and street will be added to the map ASAP if you have already mentioned/when you mentioned. Please note this may take some time as we are volunteers and all work full-time. If you need any litter picking equipment, please register your interest to become a Litter Hero on the Salford City Council website. It’s quick and easy to sign up and once registered you’ll receive your free clean up kit from the council. Sign up on Salford City Council's Litter Heroes page.